The intention of this blog is just to share with you the way God works in my everyday life. I hope you enjoy!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Eat. Pray. Sleep?

About this time last year, I decided to participate in the Women's Bible Study at church. The study was on Paul. The title of the study was "To Live Is Christ," and was a video study from Beth Moore. This was how I was introduced to this funny, intelligent, zealot after God's own heart. Oh, and I'm talking about Beth, not Paul.

At the time of that study, they were discussing that Beth would be in Lexington Aug. '10. That seemed like forever away. I think it was at the beginning of this year that I contacted one of our church secretaries via FB and asked if any tickets were left. And, thankfully there were.

So, this past weekend was the big weekend. I was kind of nervous. I had never gone on my own little excursion since George and I got hitched. I kept telling myself over and over, "It is only one night. And! I get to see Beth Moore LIVE!" I was the first one at the church, which made me doubt the date and time. Then when others arrived, I found out that we would more than likely be sharing a double bed with one of our wonderful sisters. "It's only one night, and I get to see Beth." Then, we get to the hotel, the Hyatt no less, we go to check in and they do not have the type of rooms we had reserved.




Ha! Now we are talking about the possibility of four of us sharing a king bed. "It's only one night. Surely there will be some floor space where I can sleep. Oh, and I get to see Beth." All the while, outwardly we are trying to let our light shine as we smile through gritted teeth. I think all of my co-horts were whispering the same words of encouragement to their own hearts.



Well, the Lord blessed us. Finally, it was worked out that we would get a King Standard with which we could fit one roll-away bed, and a King Suite where we could hopefully fit two roll-away beds. Upon entering our suite, we also saw a sectional couch where one body could hopefully find some z's. Again, the Lord blessed us, because we were charged the rate of a King Standard for the suite, and the roll-aways were not added to the bill.

Anyway, now to the good stuff.......We hurriedly put our stuff in the room, fixed up and headed back downstairs to eat. After eating, we make it to the gates just as the crowd starts to squish in. Oh, and did I mention we were at Rupp? You know, it is nearly as sacred as the Lord's house. I'm sure there have been nearly as many prayers and praises offered up in there as any church in Kentucky.



Our group actually made it down to the floor. Yeah, the floor that has been graced by the steps of those such as Jamal Mashburn, John Wall, Rex Chapman, Rajon Rondo, Tony Delk and many other greats. So, now the phrase that was running through my mind was, "Wow! Not only do I get to see Beth Moore LIVE! but I am sitting on the floor in Rupp Arena." Looking around at the 11,000 women filing in from all directions, I realized how blessed I am to be a woman, a Kentuckian, and mostly a Christian.



The worship was uplifting and Spirit-filled. Then Beth took the stage. In her introduction, she revealed that our lesson would bear the title, "Eat. Pray. Love." That very night, the Julia Roberts movie, "Eat. Pray. Love." was also debuting at theatres all over the country. But our lesson would not be on what was going on in the movies, but about God's people Israel in the book of Jeremiah.



On Friday, we learned two points on "Eat" and then on Saturday, we learned two points on both "Pray" and "Love." They are as follows:

EAT

1. I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruits. (Jer. 2:7 NIV)

2. When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight. (Jer. 15:16 NIV)

PRAY

1. You will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. (Jer. 29:12 NIV)

2. Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. (Jer. 33:3 NIV)

LOVE

1. I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. (Jer. 31:3 NIV)

2. Give thanks to the LORD Almighty, for the LORD is good; His love endures forever. (Jer 33:11 NIV)



It was so wonderful and so refreshing. The Lord opened my eyes to things I had never considered. One thing that really stuck out to me as we traveled with Israel during her search, is that God wants to be a part of every aspect of our entire lives.

Jeremiah 2:2b ...you loved me and followed me through the desert, through a land not sown. NIV
Then, in Jeremiah 4:3, "Break up your unplowed ground and do not sow among thorns." NIV

Beth showed us how God wants to break up our desert land, those places that are hindering our growth. HE wants to plow those up so that we may bear fruit in all areas of our life.



There are other things that stick out in my mind. I know we were all blessed. On Friday night, we didn't start trying to sleep until 1am or after. I got to listen to two of my roomies talk things over as I tried my best to nod off. Five am came very quickly and by 6:30 we were back down to eat again and rush off to the rest of the conference.



Once again, we were seated on the floor, and I sat in awe. This time, my awe wasn't so much over the blue cushioned seat under my butt, or the numerous championship banners hanging from the ceiling, or the Kenny Walker, Louie Dampier and Jack "Goose" Givens jerseys hanging to my right and left. Even through my red, sleep-deprived eyes, I could see my Saviour. I could see Him in the hands raised in praise, the tears that trickled down blush covered cheeks, the eleven thousand voices singing "Victory in Jesus," the hugs of my beloved sisters. He was there with us.



I will have to say that was one experience I will forever hold dear. I pray that the lessons I learned will go with me throughout my walk and add to my testimony. I am so blessed. It was only one night, but I got to see Jesus. Oh yeah, and Beth.

No comments:

Post a Comment