The intention of this blog is just to share with you the way God works in my everyday life. I hope you enjoy!

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Dream Big

Last night, we went to my Father-in-law's to celebrate Christmas Eve with him and the rest of the in-laws. While we were there, my father-in-law commented on a story I'd written. He told me that I really should write more, or be a writer or something nice like that.

Honestly, this is a dream that I have entertained on occasion. I have no idea if I will ever try to pursue that dream outside the confines of this blog, a letter to a friend, or the rare journal entry. Many times I have written a chapter or two in my mind. A chapter of what would be the question. Sometimes I think I would try my hand at fiction, but does my vocabulary contain enough adjectives to captivate anyone's attention? Then, there are times I think maybe I would tell my story, which would actually be my testimony. Then, I feel inadequate to think that I could convey what the Lord has done for me and put it neatly wrapped within the pages of a book. If I could dictate many of the humorous stories that have happened to my husband, or express with great accuracy the exhaustive practical jokes he and his co-workers have managed to pull of, I would have a best-seller for sure. The only problem is, no one would believe that it was non-fiction.

Aside from writing, there are other dreams that I have that seem unattainable. Those dreams that we have decided to deem only that-dreams. The practical side says that we will never really reach those goals, but we can have fun dreaming. On the way to my Mamaw's yesterday, I saw a billboard with Susan Boyle on it, encouraging passers-by to dream big. What are somethings that you dream about? What would you want to be if you could be anything? Or what talent would you like to possess?

When I think about this, there are a lot of things that come to mind. Writing would of course be one of those things. I would love to put the thoughts that flood my imagination onto paper and watch them come to life. I do not think that I am equipped to play a musical instrument. I really don't think that my mind works in a way that can manage that, but that would be a very cool talent! I love music and to be able to play it would be such a blessing.

As far as professions go, if I had it to do over, I would've majored in something related to farming or animals. Then again, I may have just went straight to vocational school and tried to become a general contractor. So many things, so little time.......

The ultimate job is one I hope that God has in His plan for me. I am extremely blessed to be the stepmom to the sweetest boy on earth, but my heart's desire to be a mother continues to be at the forefront of my mind. This is my dream job, and one I pray that God is preparing me for daily. Only He knows, and only time will tell.

Back to the talent thing......I would love to be able to paint. I can paint a wall like nobody's business, but that's not what I mean. I would love to be able to see something and put it on paper. I love the outdoors, and I like taking pictures, but to let that image come from my soul and have the exact moment-which the delay of a digital camera lets slip right by while it focuses in-accurately portrayed with intense feeling, perfect hues and intricate details, that would be a true talent and one given only by God.

What's your dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment