The intention of this blog is just to share with you the way God works in my everyday life. I hope you enjoy!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Story Time

I truly love to read, but I do not read all the time. During the warmer weather, I am usually outside whether by choice or because my work demands it. I don't have as settled a mindset in the warmer, longer days. I actually love cooler weather, and would rather be outside then, but those are the times I find myself reading continually. I can read a novel in 2 or 3 days, which is bittersweet. I like getting through the book, but at the same time, I like to drag it out a little. I fall in love with those characters. They all have a place in my heart. I can see them and understand them, and I want to know all about them.

Today, it is rainy and dreary, and what I would think of as perfect reading whether. I would love to curl up with my throw quilt my mom made me and nestle down in the cushions of the couch. Pour a cup of coffee and slip into another time and place. It seems that within the pages of a good book, any destination sounds delightful, any time period sounds perfect, any character sounds charming.




My favorite books are Christian Romance Novels. I can read contemporary, but I prefer early America. My heart longs for stories set on the open prairies, usually at a ranch. I like to envision those resourceful women working their hearts out to make their house a home. I love thinking about how simple things were. I almost feel that maybe I should've been born into that time. Then, I think about my air conditioner and I know God makes no mistakes.




I also like stories that take place in Europe, preferably England. I think about Victorian ladies and boarding schools, cobble stone streets and English sea captains, tea time and Scotland Yard. I guess I have my mother, Sir Arthur Canon Doyle, Dame Agatha, and Ms. Jane Austen to thank for that. I have never been out of the country physically, but oh the travels made possible by many a good book. Some by the authors I've mentioned as well as C.S. Lewis and Narnia. When I was smaller, I liked to read of the bear found in Paddington station. Amelia Bedelia and her literal mind were very amusing to me.




Nowadays, I like most Christian authors. I have yet to read an Amish book, but I have heard so many wonderful things about them. My favorite authors are Janette Oke and Lori Wick. My Granny introduced me to the former and I have a sacred collection of her books tucked away. Occasionally, I will get them out and reread them, but I mostly hope to pass them on. Lori Wick, is undoubtedly my favorite. I seemingly crave her books. My fingers tingle as they turn the pages in anticipation, my eyes scan over the words drinking it all in adjective after adjective. Her's are the books that have kept me up many a night. More importantly, the Lord has blessed me with many spiritual lessons through her writings. Each book has reiterated a truth found in the Good Book.




Currently, I am also enamored with audio books. Oh my goodness! How thankful I am at this time in my life that I live out in the country and that it takes awhile to get where you're going. I have even found myself looking forward to doctor's appointments because of the driving time I will have to listen to my stories. Wow! I am telling you, if they still had radio programs I might get rid of my tv!




Speaking of that, since it looks like my satellite will be out until tomorrow, I may just have to go pick out a book and start making some coffee. I may even turn down the heat in order to appreciate the warmth of my little quilt.




In case you're wondering, that's Ms. Marple, named for the infamous Agatha Christie character.

No comments:

Post a Comment